Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My daughter

Many people say, "Oh, I'm so sorry!" when they meet my daughter and me. I understand why they offer their sympathy or maybe empathy but I don't agree. You see, my daughter was born with a rare syndrome, Aicardi Syndrome. Her life expectancy is unknown. She is 12 years old now and is still in diapers, cannot roll over or sit up, has a feeding tube and daily seizures. She is on daily medications to help control her seizures.

When she was born I thought I had a healthy baby. Little did I know that in 2 months from her birthdate, my world would be rocked. She started having the seizures when she was 2 mos old. After an MRI, they found 4 cysts in her brain. They successfully drained them and I spent my first Mother's Day with her in the ICU @ St. Pete Children's Hospital. Two months later, my world was rocked even harder when she was diagnosed with Aicardi Syndrome. The life expectancy of girls with this syndrome is unknown and many girls to make live past their teens. She is already beating the odds.

I decided long, long ago when she a little baby that there was no point in me sitting around feeling sorry for myself. Sure, I was sad that there was the possibility (now probability) that I wouldn't have mom/daughter talks with her like other moms and daughters do. She's 12 now and instead of buying her make-up or nail polish, I'm buying bibs and diapers. But guess what? I'm glad that I'm buying those things bc that means she still here with me. Don't get me wrong, I have my days when I get down. I see other little girls that are younger than Dakotah doing way more than she can. I see them calling their mom "Mommy" (this I think is one of the hardest things).

I will tell you now that I do not view her as burden, but rather a BLESSING. She has taught me so much about appreciating the small things in life. She has affected my life in a positive way and for that I am grateful. She has given her older brother an appreciation for all the athletic things he can do - the fact he can run up and down a soccer field.

I am starting this blog in hopes of journaling my journal as a single mom to a child with a disability. Life is always easy and we don't always get what we want, but it's what we do with what we have been given that makes all the difference in the world.

2 comments:

  1. You are a beautiful person with a beautiful soul and you have a beautiful family. God has chosen you for a reason to be a Mother these children. He saw something special in you. Count your blessings. Always appreciate what you have. I admire your strength and positive outlook on life.I wish you strength to see you through, joys that bring you smiles and laughter, peace & serenity when you need it,and love that lasts a lifetime XXOO! Thank you so much for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I applaud you I also had a daughter with aicardi syndrome you continue to be the best mom you can be as I know you are a strong women. I have a speech to do in speech class on raising a child with aicardi syndrome and happen to come across your story it is very hard for my eyes not to tear up and hoping i can do it while giving my speech...

    ReplyDelete