Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Finally got an answer re: rash


                                         Pics from 11/22 - this is what is all over her body.


Well, thank goodness!!! We have an answer to the rash.  It's actually called Red Man Syndrome and is caused by a drug eruption thanks to the Vancomycin (a very strong antibiotic) that was impregnated into the bone graph that they used in the spinal fusion.  The reason it got worse before finally starting to clear up tonight was because as the bone graph fused to the spine, the Vancomycin got more into her blood stream.  We started the Benadryl again and it seems to be working this time! There are no other treatment options.  It just has to run it's course and that could be weeks.  It has started to clear up on her stomach/chest where it first started so she will most likely be discharged tomorrow (Wed).  We will get to be home for Thanksgiving! I'm anxious to be home and excited to put up my Christmas tree this weekend (even if there won't be any presents under it this year). 

Thank you for all the Facebook support! It has helped keep me going! And I want to especially thank my dear friend Amanda! She calls everyday to check on us, has visited us 4 times, sat with Dakotah Sunday so I could go home and get clean clothes, and brought me dinner twice! I am so grateful for her friendship!!!!

XO

No comments:

Post a Comment