Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Disability History & Awareness Weeks

On 6/13/08, Governor Crist signed a bill that made the first two weeks of October "Disability History & Awareness Weeks".  So, this week & next week (as I did in 2008 & 2009), I am doing a presentation to the entire middle school where I teach.  I divide up the students by grade and do the presentation in small groups to allow for more time for questions and more individual attention to the students.  I have gotten a great response from the 6th graders so far!  It's encouraging.  I share a video of Dakotah and then talk about the history of people with disabilities and how we need to see their ABILITIES not their DISABILITIES!!!

I wish I could attach the Power Point that I made and am using! I do this not only to make the students aware of how to treat people with disabilities but to jump start our school's bully proofing program.  In light of the recent bullying stories, we educators HAVE to do MORE!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment